CELEBRATING THE ART OF LIVING WELL,
AS THE FRENCH DO,
BY USING ALL FIVE SENSES
TO APPRECIATE EVERYTHING ABOUT LIFE

(FOR MY JOIE DE VIVRE PHILOSOPHY, READ MY FIRST THREE POSTS FROM JUNE 2009)






04 August 2010

Tablescape Thursday


A TUSCAN GARDEN LUNCHEON

This antique Italian wrought iron table with weathered carrera marble top has been set with tableware from various European countries.




My favorite mouth blown bubble glasses from Biot, France. I have been to this glass blowing shop on the Cote d'Azur, several times, and am always enchanted by the quality of the bubbled glass and the warm colors the artisans achieve.

Our little cream cow, which we brought back from our honeymoon in Portugal.

Venetian mouth blown glass cruets for oil and vinegar are just the most gorgeous cobalt blue - especially with the sun shining through them. (Just look at the beautiful blue shadows they cast!) These came with the terra cotta colored glass stoppers, and I think they go so well with my Italian dishes, as they combine the two colors.
French salt and spice dishes from Emile Henry.

Hand painted Italian soup/pasta bowls, which we special ordered in San Gimignano, a charming and amazing "city" in Tuscany. Months later, just when we had forgotten all about them, a package arrived with eight different bowls - each one is completely unique and intricate. The pearl handled flatware is French.

The hydrangeas and black-eyed Susans from my garden are arranged in a pot which we found in Provence. I love the drippy quality of the darker glaze over the ochre yellow.
The soup tureen (below) and water pitcher (above) are both from Tuscany, and imported to North America by Abbiamo Tutto.

This cute little double leaf server, with faux twig handle, is Portuguese. 


Bon Appetit!
To view tablescapes by other bloggers, every Thursday, visit Between Naps On The Porch, where they are all linked in. Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, I just linked you to the Rooster Party. Thanks for joining us...you just made it in......yay!!

    I am posting on Thursday evening or you can post on Friday. Have a wonderful time and enjoy yourself.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful table!!!!!! All pieces are very beautiful. The centerpiece, the flowers, are very,very, very beautifullllll!!!!!!! I loved it.Fatima-Scrapart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing table-I can feel that Tuscan spirit. Those paltes are wonderful. thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful outdoor setting! Pass the sunshine, please! Beautiful table. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great Tuscan table. I want a big piece of crusty bread and pasta to go with! The colors are perfect for August.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally charming. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, what a gorgeous table...the colors are so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful setting! I really love your goblets and those dishes! They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, hydrangeas and black eyed susans I would have never thought to put together! Those dishes just seem to dictate it, don't they? I love this pretty scape. My mother would LOVE that cow for her collection.

    Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the beautiful colors here, and those dishes are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! The blues and yellows are gorgeous!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just wishing tonight for a return trip to Italy and here you've given it to me, complete with lemons. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I like the REAL STUFF. Your special pieces all have a story and it was fun to hear. Like your Provence urn with the hydrangeas and black-eyed Susans all on your wonderful antique table. All great pieces for a special luncheon. Thanks for sharing where you bought each piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful. The plates are speaking to me. Can you share the name of shop in San Gimignano where you purchased.
    Grateful !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I wish I knew the name of the shop! We bought our plate over 20 years ago. However, you can find almost the exact thing at most of the shops in San Gimignano, as this is the signature style of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This beautiful setting speaks to me !!
    The plates are amazing. Please tell where in San Gimignano they were found / ordered ?
    I've never seen the unusual patterns displayed in your gorgeous table setting.
    Grazie !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucille -

      As I said above, I don't know the name of the shop, as we ordered them when we were there over 20 years ago. But all of the shops in the area sell these dishes.

      Delete
  17. This beautiful setting speaks to me ! Everything is gorgeous.
    Please tell where these unusual plates were ordered in San Gimignano. ?
    Thank you so much !

    ReplyDelete
  18. To everyone who wants to find the Italian dishes, here is a great link to plates that look very similar to mine:

    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187901-d3369824-Reviews-Beconcini_Tuscan_Handmade-San_Gimignano_Tuscany.html

    Good luck in your search!

    ReplyDelete

Share on Tumblr